What I Want

    It's shocking, sometimes, the curve balls that life has for us.

    If you had asked me six months ago what my life would look like, it would not be single home-owner, managing a four-bedroom home each day with just a three-year-old to keep me company at night. 

    I am not a jilted lover. I am not angry about being single again. I learned so much from my last relationship about what expecting more will get you and about how to accept being truly treated properly. In the end, however, we weren't meant to grow old together and that is okay. I wish him nothing but happiness and am glad that Lola gained a good dad out of our time together.

    Each day, however, I wake up and wonder what I truly want from life, love and the relationships I have cultivated. Like in many life events, a break up will show you who your true friends are and, often, you are surprised by those that fade away and those that remain standing by your side. I have such a strong appreciation for my network of friends and family who pushed me to be okay with being alone and continuing to seek out my own happiness. 

    It hasn't been that long, but here's what I've come up with so far:

    1. No matter what career I choose, I want to be the best at it. I want to end each day knowing that I gave my all and I have nothing to keep me awake at night. I was recently promoted at work and I am really enjoying it. Many know, I have been unhappy with, not my company, but my place in the company for quite awhile. So, the change has been nice. I feel much more fulfilled each day. I don't know if it will be a permanent change or not, but I know it is just what I needed right now.

    2. I want to find the love I don't think I have ever had. Not the kind of love that you think is love but is really lust. Not the kind of love that is friendship with no passion. Not the kind of love that is built on dysfunction and fighting. I want that love that is mutual respect, passion and love that is untainted by resentment, anger or frustration. I no longer want to settle for anything else. So, if I can't have that then I'd rather be alone.

    3. I want to continue to grow the friendships that I have under-valued for too long. I want to learn from those in my support system, never letting them go a day without knowing that I value, care for, and appreciate them. I want more of my time spent on those I love and less on my selfishness.

    4. I want to continue to learn how to be a good parent. I don't think it's a skill you ever master. I want to continue to learn and improve, because I truly believe my daughter is an amazing little person who is going to grow into an amazing adult. She is truly my greatest creation and my biggest source of pride and love and I never want to fail her.

    So, that's what I've come up with my evaluation of life, love, the future and my goals. When is the last time that life left you in a place that required a true evaluation of what you really want? If you haven't been there lately, check in with yourself and see where you are on your path to fulfillment and richness. We aren't getting any younger, right? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Chapters Can Be Hard to Start but Turn the Page Anyway

Love at This Age Isn't What I Thought It Would Be. It's Better.

A First Mother's Day