Grand Insanity

Okay, y’all. Let's talk about grandmothers. My mother is an amazing,
accomplished person. She is a nurse. She is an IT guru. She is my go-to
person for many things in life. She also drives me to drink, as the saying goes,
some days.
She adores my daughter. Lola is the highlight of her every moment.
She is the proudest of all proud grandparents and that makes me elated.
My daughter wants for nothing. If she needs diapers, a month’s worth shows
up on my doorstep. If she is outgrowing a set of pajamas, five more
are provided for her. Teething toys? Done. Socks? Done. Wipies? Done.
She has relieved so much of my burden as a single mother and I will
forever be indebted to her for that.
HOWEVER, she is so literal that it makes me crazy some days. I post a
picture of Lola and I snuggling together and I get a snippet about co sleeping
and how I will never get my daughter to sleep alone. I post a blog about the
downfalls of dating and her question is, “So does this mean there’s no
one to fix your car?” (The guy I am currently dating is a mechanic.) So,
the conclusion I have to come to is either she takes my life more seriously
than I do or she absolutely does not get my humor and my need to process
life through rants and jokes.
My mom wants the best for me. She wants me to be taken care of.
She wants my daughter to be taken care of. But her nursing degree
takes over her mom brain and I have to hear about baby food too early leading to obesity or that because my daughter is pale as paper and, therefore,
can look blue in the right light that she must not be breathing. Can you imagine, as a new mom, being woke up to that?!?!
I was forewarned when I was pregnant about the complete insanity and paranoia that comes with being a mom. No one, however, warned me that it would come from the nerves of my own mother. No one warned me that every single sentence she had ever read in any medical book, article or pamphlet in her entire life would come back to bite me in the ass. Again, I have to emphasize that I love my mother very much, but is grandparent insanity a real thing? And if so, does it have an expiration date???


Comments

  1. Your mom has and will always be cray. No expiration on personality traits 😍😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Chapters Can Be Hard to Start but Turn the Page Anyway

Love at This Age Isn't What I Thought It Would Be. It's Better.

A First Mother's Day