Why Online Dating Lasted 12 Hours

I recently ventured out into the world of online dating. It ended after roughly 12 hours,
if that speaks to my inability to put up with douchebags. But here is what caught me:
hearing I’m a single mom of a young child always got a response of,
“You haven’t been single long. What did you do that the dad isn’t in the picture?”
Ummm, why do I have to have done something and what makes you assume the dad was
there during the pregnancy and we have just broken up?
Why is it that I, as the single mom raising the child alone, have to, by default, be the the big
bad wolf in this scenario? Like there’s no inkling in any male mind that the guy wasn’t a
stand-up dude who neglected the responsibility for the life he helped to create and left
within weeks of finding out I was pregnant. Why is that? Why are single dads so
honorable and revered for stepping up and single moms are man-eating deflectors
who run their sperm donors away?!?!
I made a choice to remain single during my pregnancy. I found men revolting,
as many pregnant women do. We don’t want to be touched or even looked at by
anyone who has the ability to make us bat an eye or feel butterflies because we had enough
problems with nausea as it was at that point. Given the response now, when my daughter is five months
grown, I can only imagine what the assumption would have been when I was pregnant.
(I could list the scenarios running through my head but No one wants to hear about
Lifetime movie story plots while they drink their coffee or have their lunch.)
I want to know why single mothers have the reputation that they do. Why are we
automatically strippers shaking our asses for dollars to support our kids? Why are
we whores who ended up with a kid whose father is unknown? Is it not even a
plausible thought that many of us are professionals or blue-collar laborers who found
out that the person we were involved with wasn’t the right one? Or that we tried to give
them the chance to stay and be a parent and they left of their own volition?

This is why I ended my stint of online dating. It’s also why I have little hope for the
male species. When one comes along who can use his brain, evaluate his own gender
and see me for the hard-working woman I am who got screwed over but picked up the
pieces and moved on, then he will at least get a hello.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Chapters Can Be Hard to Start but Turn the Page Anyway

Love at This Age Isn't What I Thought It Would Be. It's Better.

Grand Insanity